This page is dedicated to my wonderful mother, Betty Marlene VINKE STEELE, born 30 Jan 1925, in Beloit, Wis. to Raymond VINKE and Lulu AMERINE VINKE.
Hans VINKE born 16 Nov 1801 in Germany and buried 26 June 1884 in the Arcadia Cemetery in Iowa. He married Katherine LAMPE, Germany. They immigrated to the United States in 1864. He may of had more children than Peter, but, I am still searching.
Peter VINKE (maybe FINK or FINKE or VINCKE) born Feb. 1836 in Germany and died 1932 in Scott County, Iowa. He married on 23 Apr 1864 to Anna KLINDT (also spelled KLINH) born August 1842 in Germany and passed away 1924. Peter became a citizen in 1869. They are both buried at the Ingwersen Center Grove Cemetery, Lincoln, Scott, IA. Peter immigrated to the United States in 1864 and Anna immigrated in 1862.
1885/1895 US Census shows Peter residence was Deep Creek, Clinton, Iowa.
1900 US Census shows Peter's (age 64) residence was in Deep Creek Township, Clinton, Iowa with his wife, Annie (age 57) and 2 children, Alvina (age 20) (a seamstress) and Amelia (age 17). Peter was a shoemaker and they immigrated to the United States in 1864.
1910 US Census it states that Peter was 73 years old and Annie was 68 years old. Lived in Deep Creek.
1920 Census - resided in Clinton, Ward 7, Clinton, IA.
1921 Clinton Iowa City Directory - resided at 108 Clinton Lane and he was a shoemaker and had his own shop at 115 Miami.
1929 residing at 2344 N. 6th Street, Clinton, IA.
Their children are the following:
1. Julius VINKE was born on 9 July 1866 in Davenport, IA and passed away on 25 June 1943 in Milwaukee, WI at the Veteran's Hospital. He married Minnie MARTENS on March 15, 1892 in Davenport, IA. Minnie was born on 21 March 1870 in Davenport and passed away on 24 May 1929 in Rockton, IL. at the age of 59 years.
1880 Census - name spelled Vinky - Deep Creek, Clinton, IA - age 14 laborer
1888 US Civil War - 22 Dec 1888 - 21 Mar 1892 6th US Infantry NY City.
1885 Census - Deep Creek, Clinton, IA
1896 City Directory - 832 W. 5th Street, Davenport, IA. Occ: traveling salesman
1900 Census - named spelled Venke - Jackson, IA
1920 Census - South Beloit, Winnebago, IL - Julius age 54 - Minnie age 49
1930 Census - Rockton, Winnebago, IL - widowed age 63- renting for $21.00 per month and living with his daughter, Norma.
1931 On Feb 26th was admitted to US Home for Disabled Soldiers, Milwaukee, WI He was admitted again on Nov 5 1931 to Aug 12, 1934 and then a third time on Aug 18, 1924 to Nov 12, 1934.
1940 US Census - age 74 and widowed.
VINKE OBIT: May 26, 1929 Davenport Democrat & Leader Newspaper
Mrs. J.W. Vinke, former resident of Davenport, died Friday in Rockton, IL after a lingering illness, according to word received.
Miss Vinke, who before her marriage, was Miss Minnie Martins, born in Davenport and resided here until 20 years ago. Since that time she had made her home in Rockton. She was married to Julius Vinke in Davenport.
Surviving besides her husband are three sisters, Mrs. George Hoffman and Mrs. J.H. Zoeckler, both of Davenport and Mrs. Kendall of California.
Funeral service and burial will be held Monday at Rockton, IL.
Their children were:
Raymond Wesley VINKE born 8 Sept 1893 in Clinton, IA and died 12 July 1974 in Rockford, IL. He married on 23 Nov 1921 to Lulu Lucile Whittle AMERINE born 29 Sept 1893 in Goshen, Elkhart, Ind and died 12 Sept 1942 in Rockton, IL). (See information below on Lulu's family history)
1930 Census - resided at 511 Union St, Rockton, IL. He was US Postal Carrier. Their children were:
Betty Marlene VINKE married Theodore Frederick STEELE
Marlene Pearl STEELE ABBOTT
Theodore F. STEELE, Jr
Anita Nadine STEELE LIVESAY
Heather Joy LIVESAY LUTZEN
Tyler James LUTZEN
Ryan Andrew LUTZEN
Thelma Jean VINKE born 7 Apr 1927 in Beloit, Wis. Died March 11, 2012 in Vacaville, CA. Married Frank SCHUBERT born 7 Feb 1926 and died 16 July 2003 in Vacaville, CA.
- Shari SCHUBERT born 6 Aug 1950
- Rick SCHUBERT born 16 Dec 1952
- Valeri SCHUBERT born 10 Feb 1955
Harold Julius VINKE 13 Oct 1894 in Davenport, IA - 16 July 1962 in Beloit, WI. Buried on 18 July 1962 in the Rockton Cemetery. He married in Beloit, WI 15 May 1913 to Ruth Ethel ALLEN, b. 7 Oct 1896 in Roscoe, IL - d. 26 Feb. 1928 to Robert Reno ALLEN (27 May 1852 Roscoe - 29 Feb 1928 Beloit) and Lucy Ann HARRISON ALLEN (16 Dec 1856 in Hopkinton, IA - d. 30 May 1911 in Beloit.) They were married 24 Jan 1874. 1930 Census- resided at 311 Hackett, Beloit, WI, Worked at Daily News as linotype operator. 1940 Census - 846 Harrison Ave, Beloit, WI. Income was $2,096.00 per year and their rent was $32.50 per month.
1942 Draft Card - resided at 1127 W Grand Ave, Beloit, WI
1954 Beloit City Directory - resided at 920 Middle St and worked at Daily News
- Alta Gertrude VINKE born 30 Jan 1897 in Davenport, IA and died 17 Mar 1976 in Beloit, WI. Buried 19 Mar 1976 in Beloit by her husband Alva SNYDER which she married 27 Aug 1927. (First wife was Lucille MATHISON)
- Leslie George VINKE born 2 Dec 1898 in Clinton, IA and died 5 Mar 1974 Buried in the Rockton Cemetery 8 Mar 1974. Married in Rockford, IL. 14 Sept 1929 to Mildred Lake GLEASMAN born 26 June 1903 in Owen Township and died 24 Sept 2001 at the age of 98, Services were on Wed., Sept 26, 2001 at the Rockton United Methodist Church and burial at the Rockton Cemetery. Her parents were Charles Hiram GLEASMAN (18 Mar 1869-27 May 1942) and Katherine LYFORD, ( 16 Aug 1872 Roscoe - 20 Jan 1944 Rockton). (They were married 14 Feb 1895 in Roscoe).
1936 Beloit Directory - resided at 625 Fairview Ave
1954 Beloit Directory - resided at 1402 St. Lawrence Ave, Beloit, WI and worked in Rockford, IL as an inspector at Ekstrom-Carlson.
- Charles Leslie VINKE born 11 Jan 1936 married Cheryl Ann HESSLER, born 7 Aug 1937 (they divorced 16 June 1975) and their children were:
- Belinda VINKE born 1960
- Pamela VINKE born 1961
- John VINKE born 1963
- Norma I. VINKE was born 22 Dec 1900 in Miles, IA and passed away 23 Dec 1975 in Beloit and was buried 27 Dec 1975 at the Rockton Cemetery. Norma never married.
1954 Beloit City Directory - 622 Broad St. Worked for Woolworth's as a floorwoman.
2. Gustave Adolph VINKE, a farmer was born 15 May 1874 in Manning Iowa and died 1932 in Manning, Iowa at the age of 58 and buried at Manning Cemetery. 1898 married Mary KARSTEN (also known as Mary Barsten Vincke and Maria Mary) born 23 Dec 1873 in Holstein and passed away 3 Feb 1953. Her parents were Wilken KARSTEN (22 July 1838 Eddelak, Holstein, Prussia - 11 May 1914 Warren Township, Carroll, IA) and Magdalena "Lena" Moeller (6 Aug 1843 Eddelak, Holstein, Germany - 4 Apr 1918 Manning, IA.) They were married 26 Nov 1865 in Eddelak, Dithmarschen, Achleswig, Holstein, Germany.
1895 US Census Hayes, Crawford IA. Name was spelled Gustiv Vincke 1900 US Census - Hayes, Crawford, IA. Also residing with them was Gustave sister, Julie Vinke, born March 1888
1910 US Census - resided in Warren, Carroll, IA and he was 36 years old 1920 US Census - his daughter Lena and granddaughter Bernice were residing with him. 1930 US Census - Rt. 2 West Side, Hayes, Crawford, IA. Granddaughter Bernice C. Vinke was living with him and her age was 12.
1939 US Census - resided in Pocohontas, IA
Their children were:
- Carolina "Lena" Dorthea VINKE (Lenna D Vincke) born 10 Jan 1898 in Manning, IA and died Dec 23, 1984. On 20 Jan 1918 she married Hans Jurgen Clausen 5 Jan 1888 in Germany and died 10 Jan 1956.
- On 30 Jan 1930 she married Walter Charles Schwiesow in Council Bluff, Pottawattamie, IA. 1895-1962
- Henry W. VINKE was born 31 Oct 1900 and died 9 Aug 1989. Married Malinda E born about 1905 and. 1930 US Census - resided in Carroll, Iowa
- Julius VINKE born 18 Mar 1902 in Manning and died 28 Nov 1976 in Manning.
- Emilie VINKE born 22 Mar 1904 in Manning and died 3 June 1977 in Manning.
- LeRoy D. VINKE born 25 Nov 1908 in Manning and died 19 May 1988 in Manning. 1930 US Census - residing in Crawford, Iowa.
3. Florence Adelia "Delia" (Dela) VINKE born 22 Feb 1875 Bryant, Clinton, IA and died 11 Dec 1946. In 1898 married William Henry WITT 2 Sept 1870 Schleswig, Holstein, Germany - 21 Aug 1927.
- Arnold Witt 9 May 1902 - 1980 Clinton, IA.
- Bernice Amelia Witt 20 Jan 1905 - Nov Aug 1979 Clinton, IA
- Clarence Witt 1914
- Esther Emma Witt 10 Apr 1915 - 18 Feb 1970 East Moline, IL.
4. Rose (Rosa) VINKE born in 1878 and died in 1953. 1895 Married Fred HANSSEN (R.R. Laborer) born in 1872 and died in 1953 and both are buried at the Ingwersen Center Grove Cemetery.
- Rudolph Hansen June 1895 IA
- LeRoy Hansen July 1898 IA
5. Bertha Alvina VINKE born on May 6, 1880 in Bryant, Iowa and passed away on Oct 25, 1906 in Bryant, Iowa. 1900 Census shows she was a seamstress.
6. Amelia (Emilie) Millie VINKE born in 5 June 1883 in Bryant, Clinton, IA and died 22 Nov 1954 in Clinton, IA. Married on 8 Jan 1913 to Paul PAASCH (car checker at sugar refinery) born 14 May 1882 in Clinton, Iowa and died 21 Feb 1930.
1895 US Census - Deepcreek, IA.
1925 US Census resided in Clinton, IA and Peter was 88 years old and living with his daughter.
1930 US Census - Widowed and residing in Clinton, IA at age of 46. Address was 2347 1/2 N. 6th Street.
1947 City Directory - 2354 N. 7th, Clinton, IA. Widowed.
- Raymond Peter Paasch born 9 June 1913 and died 20 March 1918
- Howard H. Paasch born 6 Dec 1921 and died 20 July 1952
Great Grandma Minnie Martens VINKE and Lulu and Minnie in the backyard in Rockton, IL. Julius in back with Raymond, Harold and Leslie
Raymond Vinke Betty Marlene Vinke Betty and Thelma Vinke
Alta and Alva The VINKE Clan, Harold, Raymond, Alta and Norma in Rockton, IL.
Betty grew up as a child in Rockton, IL and worked as a waitress at the Wagon Wheel to put herself through nursing school in Rockford, IL at St. Anthony's Hospital. It was in Rockford, IL that she met my father, Theodore Steele, at a corner drugstore, and fell in love. He was in the stationed in the army at Camp Grant in Rockford. They were married in 1946 in Chicago, IL. and lived briefly there before moving to Waukegan, IL. My parents had three children: Marlene Pearl Steele Abbott, Theodore F. Steele, Jr., and me, Anita Nadine Steele Livesay. Below are pictures of: Betty and her sister Thelma (Schubert) in the early 1930's, her graduation picture from Rockton High School in 1942 and her nursing picture.
Betty Marlene VINKE graduated from St. Anthony's School of Nursing in Rockford, Illinois in 1946. Anita and Betty STEELE in front of Thelma Schubert's house in Vacaville CA in 1974. Her high school diploma and nursing diploma
This is Betty at age 2 mos. with Lulu Rebecca Defreese Rebecca, Wallace & Lulu
LULU LUCILLE WHITTLE AMERINE'S HISTORY:
Her parents were Rebecca Belle DeFREESE born 27 Aug 1875 in Benton, MI - died 13 March 1949 Rockton, IL. and John WHITTLE. Her step-father was Wallace C. AMERINE.
Rebecca's parents were John DeFREESE born 1837 in Holland and Mary A McNAUGHTON born March 1851 in Indiana - died 1909 born Jackson, MI. (Mary's parents were Moses A. McNaughton 1 Jan 1813 NY - 18 Jan 1901 Jackson, MI and Mary K Turner 30 Aug 1818 MA.)
In the 1880 US Census Rebeca DeFREESE was a residence of Wayne, Kosciusko, Indiana and being 4 years old.
1900 US Census shows the family living with Mary in Elkhart City, Elkhart, Indiana and that she was widowed and 49 years old and that Wallace (Walace) Clifford AMERINE (AMERING) was residing with them and that Rebecca was married to him. John and Mary's children were:
Rebecca married John WHITTLE, but divorced him in 1896 and married Wallace AMERINE in 1900. Lulu was just a small child at the time and either they changed her name to AMERINE from WHITTLE or WALLACE adopted her. I have not been able to obtain any adoption papers from the state of Indiana on this process. Lulu Lucille's biological father was John WHITTLE from Elkhart, Ind.
1910 US Census Rockton, IL
1920 US Census South Beloit, IL. Lulu was widowed and living with them.
1930 US Census Rebecca and Wallace were residing in Elizabeth, NJ
Wallace AMERINE'S family history: Wallace AMERINE was born on 12 Aug 1874 in Piqua, OH and passed away 29 Mar 1938 in Elizabeth, NJ. Rebecca was born on 27 Aug 1875 in Benton, Mich and passed away on 13 March 1949 in Rockton, IL
Henry AMERINE, Sr. - 1789-1864 and married Mary Latham Powers 1785-1851
Jeremiah AMERINE 1801-1883 and married Susan Mahaffey born 1822. Children were:
Lulu was married previously before marrying Raymond VINKE, but her first husband, Gustave SCHOEPSKI 18 Oct 1890- 10 July 1917, died of tuberculosis. Gustave also had a sister, Martha SCHOEPSKI, born 1894 and died 1914 and a brother William SCHOEPSKI born 1897 and died 1973.
John Whittle and his mother. Ind
Raymond VINKE with his car back in the 1940's
THELMA VINKE SCHUBERT'S LIFE..Thelma married Frank SCHUBERT on Dec. 29, 1949. She had Shari, Rick, and Valerie. This is Frank Schubert and Rick and Shane