A PAST LOOK AT THE STEELE'S, along with the Brennan, Trenholm, and Prout's Families .......
OWEN STEELE,born Oct 1845 possibly in Providence, Rhode Island, married ANNIE BRENNAN, born 30 Mar 1846 in Indian River, PEI, They resided in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada. Their names were spelled Steel and Brenan.
Annie's obit: March 22, 1919 in the Agriculturist Paper, pg 5, col. 4 - The remains of the late Mrs. Owen Steele, who passed away at the home of her son, Mr. J Steele, Port Elgin, N.B., were brought to Summerside on Tuesday morning and the funeral took place Wednesday morning to the St. Paul's cemetery where interment was made. The remains were accompanied by her son Mr. Jas. Steele.
1871 Census of Canada shows Annie Steele married and living in Nova Scotia and that she belonged to the Church of England.
1891 Census of Canada shows the family residing in Summerside, PEI, District 134 and that Owen was a laborer.
The 1911 Census shows them in Summerside in District 40, Sub District 45. Their children were:
1. James Dougald STEELE born 6 Aug 1872 in Charlottetown, PEI and passed away 27 Jan 1935 in Port Elgin, Westmoreland Co, New Brunswick. James married on 10 Nov 1898 in Westmoreland to Almira Maud TRENHOLM, born 17 Oct 1880 in Timber River, New Brunswick and died 5 Nov 1928 in Port Elgin, New Brunswick.
The 1891 Census shows that Almira TRENHOLM was 10 years old, born in NB, Methodist and both her parents were born in New Brunswick. They were living in District Westmorland, Sub-District Butsford and other Trenholms in the household were Cairett, age 36; Edna, age 33; Silas F, age 12; Flord, age 8, Mary A, age 6; Rachal, age 4 and Arther B, age 1.
There is a Brennan Funeral Home in New Brunswick and I found the following information on the name TRENHOLM..... Beulah age 1, 1945 mother Agatha......1921 Charlott, 58 years married, father David MCCONNELL, mother Catherine McCULLUM, buried at Fernhill and born in Nova Scotia......1943 Elizabeth TRENHOLM age 83 from Moncton, New Brunswick and buried at the Cedar Hill Cemetery.
James and Almira's children were: (all born in Port Elgin)
Ethel Edna STEELE born 5 Jan 1900 - 27 Oct 1984 (below left). On 30 Apr 1919 married in Port Elgin, County Westmoreland on to Maynard Tingley GOODWIN 24 Apr 1899 - 19 June 1956. (He was also married to a Elizabeth Eva Martin)
Emmerson GOODWIN 1920
Dorothy GOODWIN 1921
Harold Maynard GOODWIN 3 Apr 1923 - 18 Oct 1999
Ambrose James STEELE born 24 Oct 1901 and died 2 Apr 1974 in Detroit, MI On 10 Apr 1929 in Detroit, Mi. he married Maud Matilda Catherine HUGHES born 11 Aug 1902 in Morrell, PEI Lot 40 and passed away 5 June 1990 in Morrell PEI. Their children are:
Joan Anne STEELE born 2 Feb 1930 in Ashtabula, Ohio and passed away 29 Mar 1985 in Morell and is buried at St. Theresa the Little Flower Church Cemetery. She married Terence CHAPMAN and their children were
Clifford Ambrose CHAPMAN
Gerald William CHAPMAN born 20 May 1962 in Mundare, Alberta
Juel Mary STEELE born 10 May 1931 in Cleveland, Ohio and married James E. McALEER, passed away 17 Nov 1956. In the St. Patrick's Cemetery there is a Patrick McALEER - buried 16 May 1875.
Cathy McALEER, born 1956 and she married Philip MEADE
- Alexia Juel MEADE
- Tristan James MEADE
- Tyler Patrick MEADE
- Samara Rose MEADE
Joseph James STEELE born 30 Sept 1932 and married M. Carol MARSHALL
Katherine Alice STEELE born 19 Feb 1934 and married Clement SINNOTT
Virginia (Ginny) M STEELE born 20 Dec 1935 and married Ernest J. GRANT
Harold STEELE May 1902 and died 1992. Married a Thelma C. 1900-1983. Both are buried at West Park Cemetery, Cleveland, Ohio.
- ??? Elaine STEELE 1939. Married Leonard CORNWELL
- ??? Pauline Dolly STEELE 1936 - 1939
Margarite (Margaritte) STEELE born July 1905 in New Brunswick (below middle) married Louis James HANSEN on 22 Aug 1923 in Westmoreland, parish Westmoreland. The 1911 Census shows Margaritte living in NB in District Westmoreland, Port Elgin and that she was 6 years old. In the Canada Obituary Collection, of the Mitchell Advocate, her obituary read as:
Margaret Almyra Hansen nee: Steele, of RR 5, Mitchell: Mrs. Margaret Almyra HANSEN, 99, a resident of the Ritz Lutheran Villa, Mitchell and formerly of Port Elgin, New Brunswick passed away at her residence on Friday, July 1, 2005. Beloved wife of the late Louis James Hansen (1963). Dear mother of Nita (Jack) Turford of Stratford, Reg Hansen of Campbelton, New Brunswick, Carmen (Shirley) Hansen of Oxford, Maine, Dorothy MacDonald of Biggar, Saskatchewan, Harold (Ann) Hansen of Port Sydney, Rachel (Gil) Trottier of Tillsonburg, Eleanor Shuh of Guelph and Douglas Hansen of Oshawa; dear step-mother of Clara Jackson of Windsor, Nova Scotia; loving grandmother of 24 grandchildren and numerous great grandchildren. Predeceased by her parents Mr. and Mrs. James Steele, sons-in law Kip MacDonald and Don Shuh, two grandchildren, one great grandson and six brothers and sisters. A memorial service was held at the Ritz Lutheran Villa, Mitchell on Tuesday at 2:00 pm with Rev. Thelma Kudelka and Rev. Jon Limmer officiating. Interment in Trinity Anglican Cemetery, Mitchell. Memorial donations to the Ritz Lutheran Villa Building Fund or House of Blessing, Stratford would be appreciated. Arrangements entrusted to the Lockhart Funeral Home, 109 Montreal St., Mitchell.
- Nita HANSEN married Jack TURFORD
- Reg HANSEN
- Carmen HANSEN married Shirley
- Dorothy HANSEN married Kip MacDONALD
- Harold HANSEN married Ann
- Rachel HANSEN married TROTTIER
- Eleanor HANSEN married Don SHUH
- Douglas HANSEN
Rachel Prudence STEELE born 7 May 1907 in Port Elgin, Westmorland and died 17 May 1992 Lake County, Ohio. 1930 was living with Ambrose and Matilda in Ohio. Around 1936 was married in Huron, Ohio to Martin JOHNSON 1899 -
LeRoy Reginald STEELE born 1919 (below right). On 23 Aug 1947 in Westmoreland, parish Sackville married Nettie Mae SIMPSON 4 Feb 1909 - 9 Feb 1966.
Juel STEELE Ginny Steele and Ernest Grant Joan Steele
Terry Chapman Clint and Mary Chapman Gerald Chapman
Ethel Steele Margarite Steele LeRoy Steele
2. Ambrose Wilbert STEELE born 25 Aug 1874 and baptized in St. Malachys RC Church in Kinkora on 30 Aug 1874.
3. Annie May STEELE born 24 Sept 1876 in Summerside, PEI and Baptized in St. Paul's RC Church on 14 Oct 1876.
4. Bridget Eliza STEELE born 1877 or 1878
5. Mary Ellen "Molly" STEELE born 16 May 1881 and passed away Dec. 1959 in North Hollywood, California. She married 10 Oct 1906 in Brockton, Mass to Andrew LAWTON born 13 May 1880 Mass and died 25 Sept 1937 Oak Park, IL and buried at Forest Home Cemetery. The 1920 US Census shows them living in Lynn Ward 6, Essex, Mass and the 1930 US Census shows them living on Addison St in Chicago and working at a shoe factory. They had the following children:
- Andrew S LAWTON born 24 Aug 1907 in Brockton, Mass and died 4 Jan 1960 in Orange Co. California and married Doris WITT
- Barry LAWTON
- Jack LAWTON
- Janice LAWTON
- Jane LAWTON
- Viola LAWTON born 27 May 1909 in Illinois and died Nov 1973 in Crystal Lake, IL. In Oak Park, IL on 6 Mar 1941 married William JOHNS 1892 - 20 Jan 1968 Los Angeles, Calif. He was previously married to Charlotte Stevens in 1930 and William Johns was their son.
- William JOHNS born 14 Nov 1931 Chicago - 2006. Married to Rita O'NEIL
- Susan JOHNS born 1942 married John NOVAK
- Mike NOVAK
- Susan NOVAK
- John NOVAK
- Sally Ann JOHNS born 30 Aug 1944 in Chicago died 10 Jan 2003 Seattle, WA. and married Leonard PALES
- Alan Edward JOHNS 30 Apr 1949-21 Oct 1989 in Los Angeles, Calif
- Ilene LAWTON born 12 June 1913 in Lynn, Essex Co, Mass. and died 1967 in Irving Park, IL. married Martin "Smokey" SANDBERG after March 1930.
- Marianne SANDBERG born 1934
- "Jimmy" (James) SANDBERG born 12 Feb 1936 and on 21 Feb 1959 he married Janice NELSON born 1939 His wedding picture is shown below.
- Tammy SANDBERG born 1959
- Jim SANDBERG born 1961 married Mary
- Jaimie born 1985
- Bob born 1986
- Holly born 1988
- John Michael SANDBERG
- Janet Marie SANDBERG
- Ann LAWTON born 4 Mar 1915 30 Dec 1975 and married on 24 Feb 1941 in Chicago Fred HOFFMAN .
- Edward D. LAWTON born 3 Aug 1916 in Lynn, Mass and died 14 Sept 1969 in Irving Park, IL. and buried at Irving Park Cemetery and married Elsie
- Harry Clinton LAWTON born 3 Dec 1922 in Mass. and died 23 Nov 1959 in Orange Co, Calif.and buried at Fairhaven Memorial Park and married Shirley WINDSOR PEABODY 1921 - 1995. Enlisted in service 17 Sept 1943 and discharged as Sgt. on 7 Feb 946.
- Barb LAWTON born 1945
- Deborah Jo LAWTON born 1952
- Virginia LAWTON born 1956
- Irene LAWTON
6. Julia BORNHILL/BORREHILL born 1882 in Newfoundland (The census shows her name as Julia BIRCHILL...probably a child of Julia Brennan and Frank Burchill/Birchill. There is a George Birchill, age 12 residing with Julia's brother, James Brennan.. He is listed as George in the cenus, his date of birth matches the baptism record for Julia and Frank's son "John S. BURCHELL".
7. John Cornelius STEELE born 26 Aug 1883 in Indian River and baptized in St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church on 16 Sept 1883. In the British Columbia Death Index, it shows that John Cornelius's death on 18 July 1941 in Kamloops, B.C. at the age of 57.
8. JOSEPH MICHAEL STEELE born 26 Aug 1885 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada and died June 1956. He married Ella Pearl PROUT born 5 Oct 1896 in Manitoba, Canada and died 1 Nov 1968 in Waukegan, IL and both are buried at North Shore Memorial Garden in North Chicago, IL. 1921 Canadian Census they were living at 383 Melbourne Ave, Winnepeg, Manitoba. In 1940 was living at 3045 - 5th Ave, Chicago and in 1942 lving at 3326 Walnut St, Chicago, IL and worked for Edw. Doherty Company at 5519 W. Madison St., Chicago, IL and their child was
- THEODORE FREDERICK STEELE born 20 July 1921 in Winnepeg, Canada and passed away 2 Feb 1971 in St. Paul, Minn and married Betty Marlene VINKE born 30 Jan 1925. They were married on 8 Nov 1946 at the Garfield Baptist Church, 4100 W. Jackson Blvd, Chicago, IL. In 1957 lived at 717 N New York Ave, Evansville, IN and was district executive for Boy Scouts of America. Their children were:
- Marlene Pearl STEELE born 12 Aug 1947 married Richard ABBOTT born 1947 passed away June 2005 and is buried in Grayslake, IL.
- Dawn Marie ABBOTT born 4 Mar 1970 married Ted BRITTON
- Michael Carl BRITTON born 1990
- Brittany Nicole BRITTON born 1993
- Brenda Marlene ABBOTT born 14 Feb 1971 married Doug STELTER born 1970 (his mother was Helene SCHWENGLE)
- Julie Lynn ABBOTT born 26 Dec 1973-June, 1995, buried in Grayslake, IL.
- Christopher Lee ABBOTT born 20 Jan 1995
- Rebecca Lynn ABBOTT married Dan MELLERKE
- Richard Lee MELLERKE born 1993
- Cody MELLERKE
- Kevin MELLERKE born 1998
- Kyle MELLERKE born 1998 twins
- Theodore STEELE, Jr. born 26 Dec 1948 married Laura SCHNELLER
- Anita Nadine STEELE born 9 Mar 1950 married Larry Wayne LIVESAY born 6 May 1947.
- Heather Joy LIVESAY born Oct 14, 1979 in Waukegan, Il. and passed away 8 Feb 2008 married Gerald LUTZEN born 5 Mar 1977
- Tyler James LUTZEN born 12 May 1999 in Waukegan, IL at St. Therese Hospital.
- Ryan Andrew LUTZEN born 17 Nov 2003 in Lake Forest Hospital, IL.
9. Elizabeth Regina STEELE born 22 Jan 1888 and died 1 Jan 1921 at Ellenburg, WA. 1905 she came to the US. 1910 lived in Essex, MA with Andrew and Mary Ellen Lawton (her sister). On 5 June 1913 in at Sacred Heart in Calgary, Alberta married Gerald WEST born 24 Dec 1886 Hackney, England and died 13 Mar 1969 Vernon, B.C. He came over to US on the Empress of Ireland and porting at St. John, N.B. on 18 Mar 1910. He remarried 10 Mar 1924 to Ethel May Fuller born 17 Dec 1890.
- Edith Ilene WEST born 1916 Calgary, Alberta
- Aileen WEST 1917
Joseph Michael STEELE (above left) and James STEELE (in the middle) and Ambrose STEELE. Joseph was born in Prince Edward Island, Canada on 26 Aug 1885 and was baptized Roman Catholic on 20 Sept 1885. He passed away on 13 June 1956 in Waukegan, IL. and is buried at North Shore Memorial Gardens in North Chicago, IL. Joseph and Ella Pearl Prout were married in Winnepeg, Manitoba at the Grace Church on 24 Dec 1919 (picture below left ). They immigrated to Chicago and Joseph filed immigration papers on 4 Feb 1923 and received his naturalization papers on 7 Nov 1941 and Ella on 10 Mar 1923 and she received her naturalization papers on 22 Jan 1943.
Almira Trenholm Edna Allen Trenholm Kay STEELE
Joseph in the Canadian Army Grace Church in Winnepeg
Maude STEELE Clem
This is the house in Venetian Village, IL that my grandfather and father built and my grandmother lived there until 1968. My father and grandfather are sitting in front of the house as they are building it. The window that they are in front of is the living room and the other windows to the left was a bedroom. There is an additional bedroom downstairs and the kitchen was directly behind the living room. There were two bedrooms upstairs. They did build a garage after the house was done. As a child growing up, I spent my summers here with my grandparents.
Below is a picture taken in Prince Edward Island of Joseph, Ella Pearl Steele (Prout), Marlene Pearl Steele and Ginny Steele.Approximate date is around 1954-1955. The picture on the right below is of Ella Steele, Marlene Steele (granddaughter) and a Steele relative in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada in the mid 1960's. The gentleman with Ella was a boarder that lived in her house in Venetian Village, IL.
Other STEELE Members...... Jim and Jan Sandberg's wedding (Jim was Joseph's nephew). Jim was born on 12 Feb 1938 and passed away on 30 June 2006. His services were held at the Community Baptist Church in Silver Lake, WI on 6 July 2006. His final resting place was at the Sunset Ridge Cemetery, Kenosha, WI.
Theodore STEELE was born to Joe and Ella on 20 July 1921 in Winnepeg, Manitoba, Canada and came to the United States in 1923. He was raised in Chicago at 3326 W. Walnut St and attended Roosevelt College taking Phychology courses. He was also married briefly to a Harriet Gravelie on 3 Oct 1942 in Cook County, IL. He enlisted in the Army on 11 Aug 1943 and was a radio operator in combat. He received the Combat Infantryman Badge W/M1 rifle. He also received 3 overseas service bars European-African-Middle Eastern Theater Ribbon w/3 bronze battle stars, Good Conduct Medal, Meritorious unit badge World War II, and Victory Medal. He departed from the United States on 13 Mar 1944 and returned on 25 Dec 1945. Ted received a Honorable Discharge on 30 Dec 1945 at Camp Grant, IL.
Theodore Frederick STEELE and Betty Marlene VINKE 30 Jan 1925-31 Oct 1991, married 6 Nov 1946 in Chicago Il. He worked for the Boy Scouts of America as an executive for many years. He then became a counselor at Singer Zone Medical Center in Rockford, IL in 1968. Ted passed away on 2 Feb 1972 in St. Paul, Minn. and both Ted and Betty are buried next to each other at the Sunset Memorial Gardens in Rockford, IL.
Ted's obit read as follows: Ted Steele, ex-scout leader, dies. Theodore F. (Ted) STEELE, 50, Baldwin, Wis., former Scouting district executive here ad in Freeport and former Singer Zone Center staff member, died Wednesday morning in the Miller Hospital, St. Paul, Minn., after suffering an apparent heart attack. For the past year, he had been serving as executive director of the Tri-County Council on Alcohol and Drugs, Baldwin, Wis. For three years he served as health educator on alcoholism treatment at the H.Douglas Singer Zone Center here. Prior to that, for many years, he was in professional Scouting, becoming a district executive in Green Bay, Wis., in 1948. He later held scouting posts in Evansville, Ind., and Freeport, and joined the Blackhawk Area Council of Boy Scouts in 1963 as Sauk District executive. He and his family lived in Sterling while he held that post, moving to Rockford after he named the Blackhawk Council's director of field service. He served one year as director of Camp Lowden. He was a World War II veteran, serving in the Army Infantry. Survivors include his widow, Betty, Baldwin; two daughters, Anita, Rockford, and Mrs. Richard Abbott, Round Lake Beach, Ill; one son, Ted, Jr., Baldwin, and two grandchildren. Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday in Delhanty Funeral Home, 401 River Lane. Burial will be in Sunset Memorial Gardens.
Ted and Betty's children are Marlene Pearl STEELE was born on 12 Aug 1947 in Chicago, IL and married on 28 Nov 1970 in Rockford, IL to Richard Lee ABBOTT (b. 9 Dec 1947 in Monmouth, IL. to Ruth June Gibson (born 20 June 1930 in Antigo, WI) and passed away on 7 June 2005 at the Cottage Medical Center in Galesburg, IL following complications from a car accident) and Orrin Doyle ABBOTT died in 1971 at the Downy Hospital in Great Lakes, IL); Theodore F. STEELE, Jr.(Laura) was born on 26 Dec 1948 in Chicago, IL; and Anita Nadine STEELE (Larry Livesay) was born on 9 Mar 1950 in Waukegan, IL.
and......my parents ... Ted in the service, Ted and Betty's wedding portrait, and Ted and first grandchild, Dawn Marie ABBOTT, in Rockford, IL 1971.
Below, Anita and Betty STEELE in front of Thelma's house in Vacaville, CA, in 1974. Marlene Steele ABBOTT and Richard Lee ABBOTT.
Dawn Marie ABBOTT BRITTON and her daughter
Brittany BRITTON age 2 mos, 5 yrs and 16 yrs
Mike Britton age 2, High School Senior and Julie Abbott's son Christopher
Below is Rebecca Ann Abbott and her son Richie and her twins, Kyle and Kevin
Three generations of Steele's.....Betty, Anita, and Heather (Larry Livesay, Anita's husband)