Uttexeter Cemetery in Plympton, ON where the PROUTS were originally laid to rest.
JOHN PROUT born 1764 in Cornwall England and on 2 Aug 1783 married ELIZABETH JOBE
born 1760 at St. Kew, Cornwall, England
JAMES/JOHN PROUT 1796-1861 and ANN MAY GREGORY 1795-1871. Born in St. Teath, Cornwall, England. 1841 Census living in Sub District Boscatle, England shows James/John and Ann May with their children were Mary PROUT, John PROUT, SR, William PROUT, Elizabeth PROUT, Richard PROUT, and Simon PROUT.
A. Mary PROUT born 1818 Uttexeter, Plympton, Lambton, Co.
B. JOHN PROUT, SR., born 8 Aug 1919 in Cornwall. England and died 25 Fed 1903 in Forest ON. while visiting relatives. April 1844 he married ELIZABETH PROUT, born 3 March 1821 in Cornwall and died 29 Jan 1914 in Forest, ON. They immigrated to the US in 1844 and were farmers in Plympton.
JOHN PROUT OBIT: Early on Wednesday morning, Feb 25th, John Prout, of McNab St., Forest, passed to his eternal rest and reward at the age of 83 years 6 months and 17 days. The funeral will take place on Friday afternoon from his late residence at 2 o'clock, to the Methodist Church where the funeral service will be conducted by Rev. J.E. Ford, present pastor of the deceased, the interment at Beechwood cemetery after the service is over.
John Prout was born in Cornwall, England, in the year 1819. He was married to Elizabeth Prout, who still survives him, in the year 1844, and together the same year they immigrated to Canada, landing at Niagara. The first year they spent at St. Catherine's, moving to Plympton in 1846. For another year they were located at Uttexeter, then they settled on the 10th line and made a home for themselves in what was then the wilderness. Suffering all the hardships incidental to settlement in districts where there were no railways to open up communication with older settlements. Some fourteen years ago they decided to retire from the farm and moved into Forest, where they have resided up to the time of his death. Mr. Prout was converted to God in the year 1858 under the preaching of the Rev. Alex Langford, and joined the Methodist church, and has since been a consistent, happy and useful church member and Christian for 45 years. Some 9 years ago they celebrated their golden wedding with their children and friends in a suitable manner and, had he lived a little longer and been well they might have celebrated their diamond wedding. Deceased had fairly good health until about seven years ago, when he was stricken with blindness and at the same time his health began to fail. Still he was very patient under his afflictions and kept cheerful and capable of much enjoyment until about two months ago when he became very ill and continued to sink steadily until the end came as a release from his sufferings. Seven children were born unto them, five sons and two daughters. Richard Prout, Forest, John, who died about a year ago on a visit from the Northwest; Francis and Samuel, of Rapid City; and Thomas, of Basswood, Manitoba; Mrs. D.N. Sinclair, of Sarnia; and Mrs. Mary Maidment, of Lucan. Mr. Prout was highly respected by all who know him and his aged partner said his family have the sympathy of all.
ELIZABETH PROUT OBIT: Mrs. Elizabeth Prout, relict of the late John Prout, and one of the oldest residents of Forest, died on Tuesday night, in her 93rd year. The funeral will take place this (Thursday) afternoon. The service will be held in the Methodist Church at 3 o'clock, and interment will be made in Beechwood cemetery.
1. RICHARD PROUT born 15 Nov 1845, died 5 Feb 1931 at the age of 85 yrs, 2 mo, 21 days in Forest, Ontario. Married 1 July 1874 in Wyoming, ON. to Elizabeth Ann OKE 28 Nov 1849 - 28 Mar 1921 at the age of 72 of cancer of the bile. (daughter of James OKE and Mary TINNEY spelled OAK),
PROUT OBIT: Forest, April 7, 1921, pg 4
Died Monday afternoon last, Elizabeth Ann Oke, wife of Richard Prout (ill 3 months). Born Cornwall, Great Britain 1849. Came to Canada with James Maylor family when a young girl. They reside at Richmond, Quebec for some years before coming to Forest. Married July 1, 1873. Survive husband, 2 sons, 2 daughters - Jos. J. Prout of Forest, Lorne Prouit of Sarnia, Mrs. George McFarlane and Miss Clara Prout of Forest. Funeral yesterday (Wed) afternoon from residence, McNabb Street to Beechwood Cemetery. Rev. S.W. Muxworthy of Methodist Church. Bearers - Dr. F. Cairns, RB Crosbie, J.D. Livingston, J.J.J. Maylor, M. Rumford, Wm. Scott. William H. Oke of Timmins, only m brother, was unable to attend due to illness.
John Joseph PROUT 12 April 1875 - 1957. On 25 Dec 1906 in Lambton married Elizabeth Viola Watson 1881 in St. Johns - 1927. She is the daughter of John M. WATSON and Louisa McGUIRE.
John Kenneth PROUT 12 Feb 1908 - 19 Mar 1968. Married Beatrice O'DONNELL 22 Oct 1910 - 24 Aug 2000.
Ellwood Watson PROUT 12 May 1910 - 3 Aug 1999. Married Gladys O'DONNELL 19 Dec 1912 - 25 Apr 2003. Immigrated to Detroit 23 Apr 1929.
Elizabeth PROUT 23 Jan 1933 - 26 Apr 2003
Barbara Ann PROUT BELL 22 Sepy 1942 - 12 Feb 1993
Ted Edwin PROUT 11 Dec 1912 - 1921
Carroll PROUT 1914 - 11 Sept 1983 Married Mildred Loraine ATTWOOD1916 - 1944 and he also married Mildred Marie
Howard Gerald PROUT 1920 - 15 Dec 2000. Married Barbara J. RAWLINGS
Mary Elizabeth PROUT 3 Nov 1879 in Forest - 1949. Married on 13 Mar 1905 to George N. McFARLANE 15 Apr 1875 - 1920. (His parents were Hopkin McFARLANE and Margaret FISHER).
- McFarlane born 18 Sept 1906 in Lambton
- Allen O. McFarlane born 23 Sept 1910
- Doris died young
- Jean died young
- Ruth McFarlane born 1918
Clara Ake PROUT 5 June 1882 in Lambton Ontario - 25 Mar 1965
William Wesley PROUT 16 Aug 1876 - 31 Oct 1894 Beechwood Cemetery
James Lorne PROUT 5 Feb 1879 in Forest - 1951. On 14 Nov 1900 in Middlesex he married Artemesia GREY 1877 - 1971 in McGillivray. Her parents were Abraham GREY and Mary A Turner GREY.
- Richard Wesley PROUT 30 Aug 1901 - April 1963 Michigan. Married Esther L
- James Norman PROUT born 13 March 1903. Married Virginia born 1903
- Evelyn Leone PROUT 20 May 1904 - 17 June 1999 Florida. In 1940 living in Florida with her partner, Selma Atwater, she was a real estate broker and Evelyn was an accountant.
2. MARY PROUT 27 July 1848 - 1934. Baptism was 10 Sept 1848. 7 Jan 1868 married Samuel MAIDMENT 1844 - 1944 (son of Henry and Maria SHARPE.) The 1871 Canada Census shows Henry at age 61 and living in Warwick).
3. Francis PROUT 6 Sept 1851 Rapid City - 25 Feb 1918. In Wyoming, Ontario on 19 Jan 1876 married Mary BYRNS. In the Riverside Cemetery in Rapid City there are cemetery stones for Francis and Mary and they state:
"PROUT MARY/ beloved wife of FRANCIS PROUT/ died Nov 9, 1909 Aged 53 years, 6 months, 7 days. A precious one from us has gone/ The voice we loved is stilled/ A place is vacant in our home/ Which never can be filled/ God in his wisdom has recalled/ the boon his love had given/ And though the body slumbers on/ The soul is safe in heaven/ PROUT" This says "wife". Below on the north side of the same stone is PROUT FRANCIS PROUT/ died Feb 25, 1918/ aged 67 yrs and says 'FATHER". With these stones there is also one that says: PROUT PROUT/ WM FRANCIS 1881 - 1956/ DAISY/1877-1966. PROUT SAMUEL/ PROUT/Born Jan 17, 1858/ Died March 7, 1937.
Mary Lavinia PROUT 2 Nov 1876 in Lambton - 27 Apr 1924 Minnedosa, Manitoba. On 3 June 1896 she married Joseph TROTT Oct 1868 - 1924.
Lester TROTT 2 Apr 1897 - Oct 1976
Bella TROTT Aug 1898 - 1969
Clarence Alexander TROTT 1907
Gracie Viola TROTT Sept 1910
Charles PROUT 18 Dec 1877 - died before 1977
William Francis PROUT, JR born 1881 and died about 1956 and buried in Riverside Cemetery in Rapid City, Manitoba. In 1908 married Sarah Ann
"Daisy" MISNER born 26 Apr 1877. He was also known as "Frank". Daisy was born 1877 and died 1966.
William Francis PROUT born 27 June 1909
Miriam "Minnie" PROUT born 1912 and married William BAILY and both buried in Smith Falls, ON.
Clara PROUT 1 Sept 1892 - 25 Mar 1965 and buried in Beechwood Cemetery. She married William H. Oke. They lived in Los Angeles for several years.
Julia Eva PROUT 30 May 1883 lived in Pontiac Michigan area
Sandy Alexander PROUT 18 Aug 1885 - 10 Nov 1981. Moved to Vancouver, BC and was a pottery pressman. Married Gertrude born 1898
4. JOHN PROUT 26 Mar 1854 in Lambton - died 11 Feb 1902 in Rapid City, ON. of pneumonia. He married ELIZABETH BYRNS on 7 Feb 1882.
1901 Canadian Census they were living in Marquette District, Sub District Blanchard D-2 and that John's brother Samuel PROUT was also residing with them. It shows Emma's name as Emmy and Samuel's name as Samiel.
1911 Canada Census shows Elizabeth, Samuel and Ellie living together in Marquette, Man. John had passed away in Rapid City after visiting with the family for a holiday and came down with pneumonia.
THEODORE FREDERICK STEELE, SR. born 20 July 1921 in Winnepeg and died 2 Feb 1972 in St. Paul, Minn. He married BETTY VINKE (see the Steele Page for this information)
Marlene Pearl STEELE 12 Aug 1947 married Richard ABBOTT
Dawn Marie ABBOTT 4 Mar 1970. Married Ted BRITTON
Michael Carl BRITTON
Brittany Nicole BRITTON
Brenda Marlene ABBOTT 14 Feb 1972. Married Doug Stelter.
Julie Lynn ABBOTT
Rebecca Lynn ABBOTT
Theodore Frederick STEELE, JR. 26 Dec 1948 - present
ANITA NADINE STEELE married Larry Wayne LIVESAY
Heather Joy LIVESAY 14 Oct 1979 - 8 Feb 2008. Married Jerry Andrew LUTZEN
Tyler James LUTZEN 12 May 1999 Waukegan IL at St. Theresa Hospital
Ryan Andrew LUTZEN 17 Nov 2003 Lake Forest IL
5. Elizabeth PROUT 4 Aug 1857 - 19 July 1931. In Lambert on 15 Apr 1881 she married Duncan Nulty SINCLAIR 3 May 1858 - 4 Feb 1924 (Duncan's parents were Duncan and Susan SINCLAIR). Burial for Elizabeth was at Lake View Cemetery, Sarnia, Ontario. She was 77 years old and died of broncho pneumonia. Lived at 145 Queen St, Sarnia.
6. SAMUEL PROUT 17 Jan 1859 Lambton - 7 Mar 1937 Rapid City. Stayed single. 1901 Can. Census - living with brother John and his wife Elizabeth in Manitoba 1911 Can. Census - Marquette, Manitoba and his niece Lena Prout living with him. 1921 Canadian Census - Living in Saskatchewan, Manitoba
7. THOMAS PROUT 12 July 1861 - 5 Mar 1917 of diabetes in Plympton. On 7 Jan 1885 married Mary Julia BYRNS Sept 1862 - Dec 1947(daughter to Ira and Abigal and sister to Elizabeth, Emma, Oscar, Ira, Wilford, Manley and Wilbert Byrnes) Their children were all born in Lambton.
C. William PROUT 28 Aug 1823 St. Teath, Cornwall, England - 20 Nov 1890. On 18 Oct 1845 he married Mary TREMAIN 11 Oct 1824 Halifax, Nova Scotia - 10 Aug 1906 (her parents were John L. TREMAIN and Mary Lee)
OBIT. 16 AUG 1906 - The angel of death has removed another of Plympton's early settlers, in the person of Mary Tremain, relict of the late Wm. Prout, which occurred at the home of he daughter, Mrs. Wilfred Byrns, of Plympton, on Friday, August 10th. Deceased while not enjoying the best of health for some time, was not confined to her bed until a few days before her death. The funeral which took place on Sunday afternoon in the Uttexeter cemetery, was largely attended. The service was conducted by the Rev. C.R. Burrell, of Forest, and the service was made very impressive by the singing of "Saviour Pilot Me", and "Ready Waiting", rendered by a male quartette. The floral tributes were beautiful. Friends were present from Sarnause and Saginaw, Michigan, Brantford, Petrolea, Wyoming, and Forest.. The subject of this sketch was born in the parish of St. Teath on the eleventh day of October, 1824. In the year 1845 she was united in marriage to William Prout. Coming to Canada three years later, they settled on the 10th con of Plympton which was then a dense forest. They succeeded however in hewing out for themselves the comfortable home on which they both resided until their death. In 1858 she gave her heart to God, uniting with the Methodist church and in which she remained a faithful and consistent member. In the year 1890 she sustained the greatest affliction of her life in the loss of her beloved companion, but endeavored to submit cheerfully to her heavenly Father's will, believing that He doeth all things well. She was the mother of eleven children, eight of whom survive her, namely Mrs. W. Hoskin, Sarannie, Mich.; Mrs. T. McKeown of Rialta, Calif.; Mrs. T. Stephenson, of Rapid City, Man.; Mrs. Francis Bennest of Wyoming; Mrs. J.N. Vannatter, Forest; Mrs. Robt. Sparling and Mrs. Wilford Byrns of Plympton, and William of Drinkwater, Sask. One brother of the deceased also survives her, Mr. John Tremain of Olivet. The pallbearers were W. Sparling, W. Dodge, A.Rae, Thos. Sparling, W. Neil, and Mr. Kelly
1. Jane PROUT born 1846 - before 1949. Married William HOSKIN born 1847.
2. Catherine Kate PROUT (twin to Maria) 1 Aug 1848 - died 1937. Married Francis BENNEST 24 May 1848 - 1937.
3. Maria PROUT (twin to Catherine) 1 Aug 1848 - 10 Nov 1899. Married Thomas STEPHENSON (parents Hugh and Elizabeth Stephenson).
4. Annie PROUT 2 July 1850 - 14 Jan 1933 of the influenza. 1876 married John NelsonVANNATTER 12 June 1845 Moulton, Township, Haldimand County, ON. - 20 Dec 1925 Lambton and buried at Beechwood Cemetery. (parents were James Vannatter and Regina Miller).
5. Matthew PROUT 16 Sept 1852 - 13 Jan 1870
6. Mary Ellen PROUT 10 Mar 1859 Plympton - 20 Sept 1930. Married in Plympton on 6 June 1882 to Robert Wesley SPARLING 29 Nov 1859 Streetsville, ON - 26 Nov 1944 Streetsville. (Parents were Thomas and Isabella Sparling.)
7. Amelia PROUT 1856. On 13 Apr 1876 married Thomas McKEOWN 1849 - 6 Apr 1939 Uplands, Calif. (parents were Joseph and Margaret McKeown).
8. William PROUT 10 Nov 1856 - 6 Apr 1939. On 1 June 1882 married Ellen
SPARLING 19 Sept 1863 - 27 Feb 1918 (parents Thomas Sparling and IsabellaCooper).
9. Henry PROUT 16 May 1862 - 13 May 1864
10. Henry PROUT #2 1864 - 1883
11. Elizabeth Eliza PROUT 12 July 1865. Married Wilford BYRNS
- Mary E BYRNS 13 Feb 1893 - 1971. On 3 Oct 1917 married Byron Delos PEDDEN 13 Nov 1890 - 1956.
- William Ira Reginald BYRNS 23 Aug 1902. On 14 Apr 1926 married Lillian C. Clarke 1906
- Laura Roberta BYRNS 26 May 1905
D. Eliza Elizabeth PROUT 17 Aug 1827 - 19 May 1890. 19 Dec 1846 married Mathew Oliver TREMAINE 1822 - 10 Sept 1868. His parents were John Paul Jr. Tremaine and Jane (Jenny) Henwood.
1. John TREMAINE 29 May 1848 - 1929. On 24 Sept 1873 married Mary GOODHILL
- John Oliver TREMAINE 20 July 1875 - 19 Sept 1947
- Lily Anne TREMAINE 30 Sept 1876 - 1955
- Mary Alberta TREMAINE 13 Feb 1876 - 1963
- Clara Maud TREMAINE 1880 - 1965
- William Henry Lorne TREMAINE 1883 - 1963
- Albert Matthew David TREMAINE 7 Oct 1885 - 1983
2. William TREMAINE 1851
3. Matthew Oliver TREMAINE, JR 19 Dec 1852. On 22 Mar 1878 married Agnes LAUGLEY (LONGLEY)
4. Eliza Ann TREMAINE 1854 - 8 Nov 1905. In 1877 married Thomas KELLY
5. Henry (Harry) TREMAINE 5 Feb 1855 - 10 Mar 1908 Los Angeles, Calif. He married Sarah Isabella HUNTER 24 Oct 1862 - 31 Dec 1933
- Mary M. TREMAINE 29 Feb 1885. Married William George BALL 1886
- Nancy L. TREMAINE 10 Oct 1886
- Albert H (Bert) TREMAINE 19 Nov 1888 - 1987
- Florence M. TREMAINE 28 July 1892
- Raymond William TREMAINE 24 May 1897
6. William Henry Lorne TREMAINE 7 July 1883
E. Richard PROUT 19 May 1832 - 27 Oct 1914. On 9 Oct 1864 married Rachel HUFFMAN 1834 - before 1874. She had 3 children with Richard. Then on 8 March 1874 he married Margaret Annie CHALMERS 1840 - 1922 and they had 3 additional children.
1. John William PROUT 13 Dec 1867. Married Sarah Etta CALLIS 24 Dec 1875.
- Dora M. PROUT 29 July 1897
- Blanch PROUT 22 Jan 1899
- Frank W. PROUT 9 Apr 1900
- Grace PROUT April 1908
2. Verna PROUT June 1870 died before 1881
3. William Simon PROUT 28 June 1872
4. George PROUT 25 July 1875 - 1930. Married Eiza WOOD July 1880.
- Myrtle P. PROUT Apr 1900
- Elizabeth PROUT 1902
- Rhena PROUT 17 Oct 1905
- Effie PROUT May 1909
- Margaret PROUT 1918
- George PROUT 1919
5. Ellen PROUT 21 Sept 1877. March 1899 married Edward WALKER.
- Jane Annie WALKER 24 Dec 1899
6. Richard PROUT Apr 1883 - 17 Oct 1914. In 1921 living with his brother George.
F. Simon PROUT 10 Jan 1850 - 14 Feb 1927. On 5 Feb 1876 married Susanne Marchment 27 May 1852 - 9 Jan 1930. Parents were John Marchment and Elizabeth Kivell.
- Charlotte V. PROUT Sept 1870
- Harry Bertrude PROUT 22 Aug 1886
- Hazel PROUT 2 Nov 1892
Not sure, but I do believe this might be of the Prout family in Canada. Ella Pearl Prout, sitting on the right, and Joseph is above her to the left and Ted is leaning on his shoulders. The man to Ella's right, might be her brother-in-law and the woman sitting to her left might be her sister, and the woman standing at the other end might be her mother, but not sure. If anyone can identify any of the people, please email me. I think the picture was taken in the early 1940's.
This strange picture has eluded me for many years. It was found in my grandmother Ella's belongings and the only writing on the back said "Tent Place". I believe it might be of some relative, but not sure on whose side it would be. It's a puzzle that needs to be put together somehow.