This is my great grandmother, Annie BRENNAN born 30 March 1846 in Indian River, PEI, and died March 22, 1919. Married Owen A. STEELE, born 1846, and lived together in Darnley and Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada. Annie's family line is:
PATRICK BRENNAN (BRENAN) and ANN FLEMING born 1800 in County of Cork, Ireland.
(There is a Patrick Brennan buried at the St. Paul's Roman Catholic Cemetery in Sturgeon, PEI, Row 10, #32 who died on 28 Dec 1868 at the age of 75. There is also a Patrick Brennan, Jr, died 17 March 1868 at the age of 23 and a William BRENNAN who died in 1871.)
JOHN BRENNAN, born 1819 in County of Cork, Ireland and died on 4 Feb 1889 probably Darnley and is buried at the Indian River Parish Cemetery.
On 25 Oct 1843 at St. Mary's RC Church in Indian River, PEI, married Elizabeth Ann DELANEY, (family history below) born about 1821 prob Park Corner, Lot 20, PEI and died July 1, 1876 prob in Darnley, PEI and burial might be at St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church Cemetery in Indian River, PEI. 1881 Census - farmer - District Prince, SubDistrict 5, Lot 18, Prince Edward Island and was a farmer.
Their children were: (all born in Darnley, PEI)
Neil BRENNANborn 9 Feb 1845 and died before 1881. Baptism 23 Feb 1845 at St. Mary's RC Church, Indian River. 1870 US Census - he was in Vanceboro, Washington, Maine.
ANN BRENNAN born 30 Mar, 1846. Baptism was 19 Apr 1846 at St. Mary's RC Church, Indian River by Rev. James MacDonald. Her name was spelled BRENAN. Married OWEN STEELE.
Mary BRENNAN born 29 July 1847- died 1923 in Darnley, PEI. Baptism was 22 Aug 1847. On 12 Sept 1872 in St. Paul's Church, Woodstock, N.B. married John Lewis CLARK 3 Mar 1833 - 3 Oct 1920 Benton, N.B.
John Leonard CLARK 27 Mar 1880 - 1980. Married Myrtie LEWIS 1892. Immigrated in 1900 and in 1910 lived in Monticello, Maine.
Genevieve CLARK 1912
Lewis CLARK 1914
Milton CLARK 1920
James CLARK 29 Oct 1882 Woodstock NB. Married Mary born Feb 1886.
Marie CLARK 1911
Agatha CLARK 1913
Ronaca CLARK 1915
Clarence CLARK 1917
William CLARK 1920
Mary E Clark 6 Aug 1885. Married someone with last name of GRIFFIN
Neil McKey CLARK 24 Feb 1887 Woodstock. On 29 June 1910 in Mariaville Maine married Rilla L. CAIN born 1889. Immigrated in 1900
Maurice CLARK 1912
Charles CLARK 6 June 1889 Woodstock. Married Mary born 1909. Worked for Boston Edison Company in Boston, Mass.
Charles F CLARK 1935
Ann M CLARK 1936
Thomas L CLARK 1937
John H CLARK 1937
Infant CLARK 1940
Julia BRENNAN 11 Feb 1849 - 12 Feb 1887. Baptism on 15 Mar 1849. On 6 Sept 1875 married Frank BURCHELL, born about 1849 in Halifax, Nova Scotia and death 16 Dec 1888. In the 1891 Census John was residing with James and Julia was residing with Ann and Owen Steele and that Julia and Frank had passed away.
Emma Mary BURCHELL 24 June 1876 - after 1891
John George BURCHELL 4 Oct 1878 in PEI - 12 Feb 1909. In the Summerside Journal - 24 February 1909, page 5, col. 1 - Rev. J.B. Gough, of Kensington, has made public a telegram received from Field, B.C. stating that George Burchell was killed in a collision, but giving no particulars. It is thought the George Burchell referred to is a young man who lived in Clemont a few years ago. He has some some relatives on the island.
Julia BURCHELL 16 Dec 1882 - 22 Dec 1934. In Taunyon, MA on 6 Feb 1908 married Duncan Alexander CAMPBELL, JR 28 Apr 1882 - after 1942.
Gertrude M CAMPBELL 15 Sept 1908 - 1 Mar 1981. In 1926 married James LeoPOWDERLY 17 Oct 1902 - 18 June 1996
Patricia M POWDERLY 1928
John POWDERLY 1931
Duncan Bruce CAMPBELL 31 Oct 1910 - 5 Sept 1959 San Francisco
Julia Frances CAMPBELL 30 Jan 1914. On 30 March 1935 married Frederick Edwin Smith WOODWORTH 9 Dec 1911 - 28 Jan 1994.
Douglas B CAMPBELL 1924
Florence May BURCHELL 1885 - before 1886
Maud Clara BURCHELL 2 Jan 1887 - 22 May 1890
Sarah Helen BRENNAN born 6 Aug 1850 and death is unknown. Baptism was 1 Sept 1850 at St. Mary's RC Church in Indian RIver, PEWI. On 11 Oct 1869 in Summerside PEI she married Joseph ARSENAULT, born 1850 in North Bedeque, PEI and died in 1885. In the Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Cemetery I found 2 ARSENAULTs buried - Lot 9 #34 Miss Madeline ARSENAULT 6 Mar 1938 age 89 and #48 Angelina ARSENAULT 1890-1928. As I am going through cemetery listing, I am looking for anything that might connect the families. So, these might not be related, and as I check further, I will correct my pages.
- Sarah ARSENAULT born about 1870
- George W ARSENAULT born about 1872
- Lillie M ARSENAULT born about 1879
- Christina ARSENAULT born about 1881
Elizabeth Clara BRENNAN born 10 Aug 1852 and died after 1901. Baptism was 26 Sept 1852. She was living with James and Sarah Brennan in 1901 (brother and sister-in-law).
John Thomas BRENNAN born 22 Feb 1854 and died 5 Apr 1920 in Spring Valley, PEI. Baptism was 6 Apr 1854. On 15 Jan 1878 in St Mary's Roman Catholic Church he married Susanah DOYLE, born 3 Jan 1855 Park Corner, PEI and died 3 Mar 1923 in Spring Valley, PEI. Their children were all born in Spring Valley, PEI 1881 Census - name spelled Brenan
1891 Cenus - District 134, Lot 18, Prince, PEI. OBIT in Agriculturalist - 17 April 1920, page 1, col. 4: Brennan, John We regret to record the death on Monday April 5th of Mr.John Brennan, Darnley, age 66 years. Mr. Brennan had been ill for some time, and his death was not unexpected. He succumbed to the dreaded disease of cancer in his face, for which he had undergone several operations, at the P.C. Hospital, and also at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, and although somewhat improved, he gradually grew worse, until death relieved his sufferings which he bore bravely and without murmuring. He was a highly esteemed farmer, and also an efficient builder mover, which business brought him closely in touch with the public, with whom he was popular, naturally kind and obliging. It was his constant desire to render good service to the people of his district by whom he will be greatly missed. He leaves to mourn a sorrowing widow, three daughters and four sons as follows: Edna and Elizabeth at home; Mrs. Bernard McKinnon, Spring Valley; William, Martin, Michael at home; and Russell, in Boston. There also survives him one brother Michael at Long River and one sister Mrs. J. Clark in New Brunswick. The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon, April 6th.
- John Russell BRENNAN 18 May 1879 - 7 Jan 1931 in Boston, Suffolk Co Mass. Baptized 4 Aug 1881
- James Seymour BRENNAN 16 June 1881 - 19 May 1914 in Boston, Mass. Baptized 4 Aug 1881. on 16 May 1909 in Boston, Mass married May BROWN, dressmaker born 1887. In 1913 they lived at 522 E. 7th in Boston, Mass. and James was a truckdriver.
- Oscar Daniel BRENNAN 19 July 1883 - 20 Oct 1917 in Mill Valley, PEI. Baptized 12 Aug 1883. Married Elizabeth JOHNSTON born 1878,
- Lucy Ann BRENNAN 4 July 1886 - 25 Mar 1908 in Spring Valley, PEI. Baptized 5 Sept 1886
- Elizabeth Jane BRENNAN born 15 Sept 1889 and died 7 June 1976 in Kinkora, PEI.
- Mary Clarissa BRENNAN 21 Nov 1891 - died 31 May 1953 in Spring Valley, PEI. Baptized 6 Dec 1891 Indian River. On 10 Oct 1916 married Bernard Ambrose McKINNON 18 Jan 1893 - 6 Dec 1961
- William Charles BRENNAN 21 Nov 1891 - 18 Mar 1939 in Spring Valley, PEI
- Sarah Emily BRENNAN 13 May 1894 - 25 Dec 1894 in Spring Valley, PEI
- Helena "Edna" BRENNAN Dec 1895 - 25 May 1943 in Spring Valley, PEI
- John Michael BRENNAN 19 June 1898 and died 25 May 1943 in Spring Valley, PEI. In 1925 married Marion CONNICK May 1905-1971.
- Martin Cornelius BRENNAN 22 June 1902 - 3 Aug 1964 in Charlottetown, PEI
James BRENNAN born 23 Jan 1856 and died before 1911 prob in Darnley. Baptsim was 22 Feb 1856. On 1 July 1881 in St Mary's Church, Indian River, PEI he married Sarah DOYLE born 16 Aug 1859 in Park Corner, PEI and died Feb 1906, Lot 18, Darnley, PEI. Sarah DOYLE and Susanah DOYLE are sisters. Their parents were James DOYLE 1828-1893 and Ann MURPHY 1829-1901. Sarah was previously married to a man named BASSIT and had 3 children with him before his death.
1891 Census - District Prince, Lot 18
1901 Census - District Prince, Township Canton.
Their children were all born in Darnley, PEI
- Hannah BASSIT 1876-23 May 1938
- James E BASSIT 1878-1891
- Thomas R BASSIT 1880-
- Mary Anne BRENNAN 23 Feb 1882 - 23 May 1938 in Pleasant Grove, PEI. Buried at St. Eugene's R.C. Cemetery, Covehead Road, PEI. Married Alfred P. MORRISON 1875 - 1950
- Linus BRENNAN 12 May 1885 - 22 June 1934 in Darnley. Married Emma born Dec 1885. In 1911 brother John and his wife Sarah were living with him. 1921 living in Spring Valley, PEI. Living next door to his uncle Michael and Susanna.
- Leo Preston BRENNAN 6 Feb 1887 - 1950 Boston, Mass. On 12 Oct 1913 in Boston, Mass married Marion L. GALLEY 17 Oct 1889 - 1948. Immigrated to US in 1914. He was an inspectore for Edison Light Company.
- Lilliane (Lily Mae BRENNAN 28 Aug 1889 - 1957 Malden, Mass. Baptism 15 Sept 1889 St. Mary's R,C. Church, Arrived in US 31 Aug 1917 in Vanceboro, Maine. In Nashau, N.H. on 26 Aug 1932 married James M. FITZGERALD 1877.
- Margaret Lauretta BRENNAN 15 Mar 1892 - 22 Dec 1953 Darnley, PEI. Baptized 16 Apr 1892. On 22 Nov 1910 married John Robert THOMPSON 22 Dec 1877 - 7 Feb 1940. Lived in Princetown, Royalty, PEI
- Clara Millicent "Millie" BRENNAN 24 Feb 1894 - 5 Mar 1929. Baptism 8 Apr 1894. On 24 Dec 1887 married John HECKBERT
Heckbert, Mrs. John (nee Millie Brennan) Agriculturalist - 11 April 1929, pg 8 The Angel of Death visited the home of Mr. John Heckbert, Indian River and removed from its midst the loving wife and mother at thew early age of 35 years under very sad circumstances. Her death being due to terrible burns which she received from the explosion of an oil can on Sunday afternoon, from which she passed peacefully away after terrible suffering on Tuesday morning, March 5th, 1929. She was a woman of a quiet, kind, and industrious disposition and her sad and tragic death cast a gloom all over the community, especially in Darnley the home of her childhood where she was a general favorite with all. She was attended by her pastor, Rev. Mgr. D.J. Gillis and received last rites of the Holy Catholic Church of which she was a devoted member.
Mrs. Heckbert was formerly Millie Brennan and was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Brennan of Darnley and leaves to mourn to cherish her memory a grief stricken husband and five children: Sydney, Wilfred, Reuben and Bruce and daughter Glenn all at home; also four sisters and three brothers namely: Mrs. Alfred Morrison and Mrs. John R. Thompson of Darnley; Mrs. Harry Curran, Pleasant Grove, Lot 34; Miss Lillian Brennan, Boston, Mass; and Linus of Darnley; Leo of Boston; and John of St. John, N.B.; also a large number of sorrowing relatives and friends. Her funeral took place at Indian River on Thursday morning to St. Mary's Church and cemetery where Mass of Requiem was sung by her pastor, Rev. Mgr. Gillis and all that was mortal of a loving wife, mother and sister was laid to rest beside her little daughter who predeceased her just one year ago, there to await a bright and glorious Resurrection. To the bereaved ones the sincere sympathy of the whole community goes out to them in the great loss. May her soul rest in peace.
- John William BRENNAN 8 Feb 1896 - about 1970 St John, New Brunswick
- James Hubert BRENNAN 1 July 1898 - 15 Apr 1906 in Darnley
- Sarah Emma BRENNAN 9 Mar 1900 - 8 Sept 1932 City Hospital, Charlottetown, PEI
Bridget BRENNAN 13 May 1858 - 12 Sept 1910 in Indian River, PEI. Baptism was 27 June 1858 at St. Mary's RC Church, Indian River, PEI. Married 1 Mar 1881 in St Mary's Roman Catholic Church to Michael A. READY, 6 Feb 1856 in PEI - 7 May 1901 in Irishtown, PEI. All their children were born in Irishtown.
- May Elizabeth READY 25 Dec 1881 - 26 Apr 1942 Quincy, Norfolk Co, Mass. Her first marriage was on 28 Jan 1902 to Albert J. Hottleman 18 Mar 1880 - 1 Dec 1908.. Her second marriage was to Roderick McISAAC 20 Aug 1880 - May 1965.
- William Austin READY 14 Sept 1883 - 31 Mar 1965 Boston, Mass. Married Mary Catherine McLELLAN 8 July 1884 - 1938.
- Margaret Julia READY 10 Mar 1887 - Aug 1962. She remained single
- Cecelia Lillian READY 11 May 1889 - 28 June 1954 in Brookline, Mass. On 14 Mar 1912 married Francis James "Frank" MULLALLY 25 July 1877 - before Dec 1948.
- Clara Ellen READY 29 Apr 1892 - 16 Sept 1945 in Mass. On 22 May 1913 in Brookline MA married Arthur G. NEWMAN born 1889 Toronto, ON,
- Emma Anne READY 11 June 1895 - 26 Apr 1942 prob in Boston, Suffolk Co, Mass. Married Michael BRENNAN 26 Sept 1887 - Aug 1968. (Parents were Patrick and Julia Brennan).
Donald Bernard BRENNAN born 21 Feb 1860. Baptism 01 Apr 1860.
Michael Patrick BRENNAN born 9 June 1862 and died 1944 in Charlottetown PEI. Baptism 19 July 1862 at St. Mary's R.C. Church in Indian River, PEI. Name was spelled BRENAN. On 11 Nov 1884 in St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Indian River, PEI he married Emily Ann FITZSIMMONS born 23 Aug 1864 and died 10 May 1919 in Long River, PEI. Emily in 1881 previously married John MURPHY 1846-1884 and had 2 children before his death. Emily's parents were Robert FITZSIMMONS 1837-1911 and Ann Smith MACLEAN 1824-1911.
SUMMERSIDE JOURNAL 21 May 1919 pg 5 col 4 BRENNAN OBIT: Daughter of Robert Fitzsimmons and Ann Smith MacLean. The death occurred on May 10th of Mrs. Michael Brennan, a respected citizen of Long River. Deceased was a daughter of Robert Fitzsimmons, Long River. Mrs. Brennan was a most estimable Christian lady and few persons were better known or more deservedly esteemed in the community in which she lived her full life, 54 years. The funeral, which took place Sunday, 11th inst,, to St, Mary's cemetery, Indian River, was followed by a very respecting crowd. The funeral service was performed by her beloved pastor, Rev. Fr. Gillis. She leaves to mourn, besides her sorrowing husband, eight sons and three daughters - John R., Cornelius and Mary of California, Dan B of Saskatchewan, Mrs. Roy Sullivan, Nova Scotia, Bell, Alexander, Ambrose, Albion, Norbert and Walter at home; also her father, four brothers and one sister.
Michael and Emily's children were:(all born in Long River)
- John R. MURPHY 1881
- Lucille MURPHY 1882 - before 1919
- Cornelius "Neil" BRENNAN 13 Nov 1885 - 21 Oct 1969. Baptism 22 Nov 1885. 1920 showed him as a truck driver and married to Marguerite and 1940 a janitor for a public school in San Benito, Calif.
- Daniel Bernard BRENNAN 20 Oct 1888 - 27 Dec 1965 Baptism 1 Nov 1888
- Margaret Agatha BRENNAN 11 Mar 1891 - 4 Dec 1968 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Woodlawn Cemetery. Baptism 15 March 1891. In Amherst, Cumberland, Nova Scotia on 6 July 1915 married Vincent Roy SULLIVAN. 10 Sept 1890 - 12 May 1977. 1921 living in Saskatchewan.
- Mary Avelina BRENNAN 1 Mar 1893 - 18 Feb 1950 Los Angeles, Calif. Baptism 12 May 1893. In 1921 married Edwin Ferry JOHNSON 23 Dec 1884 Dewsbury, England - 19 Nov 1955 Riverside, Calif. Immigrated in 1913 and lived 1930 in Inglewood, LA, Calif and 1940 lived Long Beach, Calif.
- Isabella Iren BRENNAN 13 Apr 1895. Baptism April 15, 1895. In 1921 married Edwin Ferry JOHNSON 22 Dec 1884 Dewsbury, England - 19 Nov 1955 Riverside, Calif. Immigrated in 1913 to California
- James Alexander BRENNAN 17 Feb 1897 - 4 Oct 1956 Berkley, CA. Immigrated 1921. Married Blanche A. March 1, 1916 World War I, 82nd Regt. for Canadian Over Seas Expeditionary. In 1927 Oakland, Calif he was an auto mechanic at Stadium Garage.
- Michael BRENNAN 19 Jan 1889 - before April 1899 Long River, PEI
- John Ambrose BRENNAN 19 Apr 1900 - before March 1907
- Alban Irenius BRENNAN 9 May 1902 - 22 Feb 1978 Whittier, CA. He was a conductor for L.A. Ry. Arrived at Eastport, Idaho on 12 Oct 1926. On 20 June 1933 at the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Los Angeles, Calif. married Eleanor RAWSON 1914 -
- Michael Norbert BRENNAN 6 June 1905 - 22 Mar 1983 Port Credit, ON. and buried at Streetsville Cemetey in Streetsville, ON. Baptism 14 June 1905. Married Dorothy THOMPSON 30 Nov 1912 - 17 Oct 2007 Port Credit, ON. Bo
- John Walter BRENNAN 29 Mar 1907 - after 1919. Baptism 29 Mar 1907
There is no family history that I can find on Owen STEELE, but have been able to obtain the following information on Annie's mother's side....
Elizabeth Ann DELANEY parents:
Daniel/Donald David DELANEY Jr., born about 1787 in Park Corner, Lot 20, PEI and died before 25 Oct 1843 in Park Corner. His father's information is below this. He married about 1808 in PEI Ann Branahan, born about 1790 prob in Ireland and died after 26 Jan 1846 prob in Park Corner, Lot 20, PEI. Their children were: (all born in Park Corner, Lot 20)
- John DELANEY born about 1809 and died 12 Mar 1878 in North Tryon, PEI. On 28 Jan 1846 married Mary Quigley 1822-1901. Their children were:
- Catherine DELANEY born about 1814 and died 23 May 1852 PEI. On 18 Apr 1836 married Michael MAY 1816 County Queens,Ireland. She died after giving birth to her daughter. On 5 Aug 1857 Michael married Mary Brennan 1828-4 Feb 1917
- Mary Anne DELANEY born 26 Apr 1818 and died 4 Dec 1852 prob PEI. Married William M. CLEARY. Their children were"
- Bartholomew DELANEY born about 1821 and died 8 Apr 1894 Saint John New Brunswick. 1891 he was widowed and living in St. John, New Brunswick
- Elizabeth Ann DELANEY born about 1821 and died 1 July 1876
- Jonathan DELANEY 27 June 1831 - 12 Mar 1878
- Julianne DELANEY born about 1832 and died before 10 Feb 1862 probably in Cascumpec, Lot 5, PEI
- Helen DELANEY born about 1833 and died before 1865 prob Summerside, PEI
Elizabeth's grandparents and Daniel's parents were Daniel DELANEY, Sr. born about 1760 in Ireland and died about 1831 prob New London, Lot 20, PEI and mother's name is unknown but prob born about 1760 in Ireland or PEI and her death was before 20 Oct 1821 presumably Lot 20, PEI. Their marriage was about 1780 and their children were all born in Park Corner, Lot 20, PEI and they were:
- Male DELANEY born between 1782 and 1798
- Female DELANEY born between 1782 and 1798
- Ann DELANEY born about 1783 and died before 1845
- Daniel/Donald DELANEY, Jr born about 1787 and died before 25 Oct 1843
- John DELANEY born about 1795 and died 1847 possibly at sea
- Susanah DELANEY born about 1796 and died before 1861 at Park Corner, PEI. Married to Charles DOYLE
- Mary DOYLE
- Sarah DOYLE
- Margaret DOYLE
I have found the following information at various cemeteries on Prince Edward Island of the DOYLEs...and again, not sure if they are related, but I will continue to check them out...
Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Cemetery....John DOYLE, 24 June 1856 - 14 Jan 1929............Mary Ann O'NEIL, 17 Mar 1859 - 6 Mar 1914, wife of John..........Les Joseph
DOYLE, 31 Aug 1895 - 28 July 1962.
St. Patrick's at Fort Augusta...... 11 June 1891 Bridget, relect of the late Peter DOYLE... Patrick Jas. DOYLE, buried 30 Jan 1888.............Edwin Joseph DOYLE, buried 4 May 1888.